Saturday, September 09, 2006

Day 4 - Newport to Honeyman State Park

Along the road...

Biked 56 miles today.

I left Newport, Oregon, in the fog. Light fog, but nevertheless, it was fog. That made is a bit chillier than I normally like. Just south of Newport I ran into John and Burt from Chicago. I had bumped into them yesterday. But, I left them when they stopped for an extended look at Sea Lions just offshore. Nice viewpoint, but the fog made viewing a little less then ideal.

I kept pushing on...and ultimately... I did not ride with anyone else today. In fact, I did not see any other bicyclists all day. The scenery was nice, but the fog kept coming and going. I took this shot along the road at a viewpoint near Ona Beach State Park, looking back north.

I met Lexie for lunch at Yachats. I'm not sure how to pronounce it... Anyway, Lexie fixed wraps for lunch and had found a nice little beachfront park off the highway. After lunch, I rode through the second of the tunnels on the coast... I caught up with John and Burt...and after the tunnel I continued on.

Lots of up and down cycling today. But, then that's what Oregon is famous for. The ride into Florence seemed long, probably because the town seemed to spread out along 101 for miles to the north. I rode right on through to Honeyman State Park, just a few miles to the south of Florence. Lexie had already checked in and got another Yurt. She met me at the entrance to the park on her bike.

I needed ice cream, so once I had settled down a bit, we drove into Florence and stopped at Dairy Queen.

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, Art & Lexie.
You're sure seeing some beautiful country. And how nice that the sun is shining for you.
Hope you're having FUN! Glad you took a day to relax, too.

No news here. Broke my big toe. But I'm off to workout anyway.

"See" you soon.

Hugs. Luann

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
"Can you hear me? Where are you?"

Hope all's well. Lovely autumnal feeling around here. Your house is fine and misses you.

We do too! Can't wait to hear all about the trip in person,
Jan and Bob

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pronounced Yah-hahts. One of my favorite places to go on the coast.

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home