Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 1 - Fort Clatsop to Nehalem Bay

Our yurt at Nehalem Bay.

Biked 40 miles today.

I had planned to start my trek at Fort Stevens, where Lexie and I had camped overnight before the start. But, I discovered that I hadn't packed my bike socks. So, I launched a phone search for socks and found them back in Astoria. We drove there, I picked up two pair and we headed off in the car to Fort Clatsop, where I started biking. Lexie, meanwhile, drove on ahead.

Before I continue I might add that while we were enjoying Fort Stevens before the start of my trip, we spotted a flatbed truck hauling huge boulders into the park. These boulders come through Anacortes from Sedro-Woolley, Wash. We see them all the time at home... they're going to a new breakwater at Fort Stevens.

The first 13 miles of my Oregon bike trip started on a nice, country road. Lots of hills, cow pastures, farmland and forest. Lexie was waiting for me when I got to 101. Seems she was worried I wouldn't make it. Pulling onto 101 at Seaside was a bit of a jolt after the country road. I went as fast as I could to get out of Seaside, heading for the lovely little town of Cannon Beach. I passed a couple on a tandem as I rode up the hill between Seaside and Cannon Beach.

Again, Lexie was waiting. We had lunch. The couple I passed had lunch at the same restaurant. I headed out of town... uphill toward the first of two tunnels. The thought of biking through a tunnel had bothered me, but it went just fine. The uphill was Arch Cape, the first of many capes I'd have to cross on this week long trip.

Lexie was waiting for me when I got to the entrance to Nehalem State Park and our first yurt. A nice change from the tent we have with us. Now we could change clothes standing up, instead of twisting and turning in our little tent. A heater, too. And, a shower over in the restroom building. We heard the ocean all night long.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Art & Lexie! The yurt looks cozy. I bet it is welcome after 40 miles in the saddle.

Are you not writing much? The blog posts are getting short and the phone advertising is getting long.

Bob & Jan

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous ben said...

Great read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home