Thursday, September 07, 2006

Day 2 - Nehalem Bay to Cape Lookout

Biked 48 miles.

Got an earlier start this morning at Nehalem Bay. Good thing, too, since I had two major hills to climb. But, first I turned off highway 101 and followed the Adventure Cycling route for 12 miles to Bay City. Again, rural countryside with very little traffic.

Arrived at Tillamook and I was surprised when Lexie pulled ahead of me in the car, rolled her window down and shouted "Dairy Queen." So, I followed her another 2 or 3 blocks to DQ, where we had lunch.

Just outside town, after lunch, two cyclists on a tandem pulled in front of me off a side road. Turned out they were from England and on a trek from Vancouver, BC to the Mexico border. Robert & Catherine and I had a nice long chat after we moved off the main road onto Bayocean Highway, part of the Three Capes Scenic Route, heading to Cape Meares, thence to Cape Lookout State Park, my destination for the day.

I lost them at the top; they turned off for a side trip to Cape Meares while I pushed on, worried about all the hills that remained that day. Went through a neat, small town called Oceanside that was on the lower slopes of Cape Meares. Pop 326. Then I followed a waterfront road to my destination for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home